BBB Technical Tips
You are helping humanity to preserve our privacy by using Free Software such as BigBlueButton. We must do what we can to avoid supporting Corporations that do not value or even acknowledge our humanity. You are not only protecting yourself, you are protecting others when you use Free Software.
Together we stay safe. When we own our tools we are safer. BigBlueButton.org – protects your privacy.
CommunityBridge is a site for events and meetings, integrated with WordPress. Agaric is also hosting BigBlueButton video chat server integrated with Canvas LMS. Each course has a designated conference room. When in a course, a teacher can click on the Conference link to create a video chat Conference. Teachers can START the Conference and choose to invite all course members to the conference and everyone enrolled will get an invite. The invite will appear on the top of the screen within the course. Students will NOT have access to a conference unless they are invited by a teacher and the teacher has STARTED the conference.
Here are some short videos that give a really good overview of how to use the tools available in BigBlueButton.
Feature overview for moderators, presenters and viewers: https://bigbluebutton.org/html5/
Overview for Moderators: https://youtu.be/Q2tG2SS4gXA
Overview for Viewers: https://youtu.be/GeJbK1lvl2I
These links will take you to the BigBlueButton support website provided by BlindsideNetworks.
- As a moderator, how do I use closed captions?
- As a moderator, how do I start and stop recording?
- As a moderator, how do I give/take presenter role?
- As a moderator, how do I manage viewers?
- As a moderator, how do I lock viewer’s ability to use their mic/webcam/chat/shared notes?
- As a moderator, how do I promote/demote/remove a user?
- As a moderator, how do I clear the public chat?
- As a moderator, how do I create and manage breakout rooms?
- As a moderator, how do I end meeting on logout?
- As a presenter, how do I use the presentation controls?
- As a presenter, how do I upload a presentation and enable for download?
- As a presenter, how do I share an external video link?
- As a presenter, how do I share my screen?
- As a presenter, how do I use polling?
- As a user, how do I view closed captions?
- As a user, how do I move webcam(s) in a live session?
- As a user, how do I join the audio?
- As a user, how do I share a webcam?
- As a user, how do I send public and private chat messages?
- As a user, how do I set a status?
- As a user, how do I use shared notes?
- As a user, how do I join the multi-user whiteboard?
- As a user, how do I join breakout rooms?
- As a user, how do I respond to polls?
- As a user, how do I close the presentation/enlarge the webcams?
- As a user, how do I access the Options Menu?
Everyone can set their own status and raise their hand by clicking on their own name in the list of people on the left and selecting “Set Status”.
Everyone can see in the list of people, participants that have set their own status to happy or confused or if have a hand raised etc.
Everyone should be able to resize the presentation or a webcam independently by dragging it larger or smaller.
You can hide the presentation from everyone:
- Upload a new presentation
- edit the presentation by choosing upload again and remove the green check mark for the active one.
Recording a Conference:
When you start a Conference, you can start recording and it will continue until everyone leaves the room, or you pause it. There is no Stop button yet the recording will be saved and will appear in the “Concluded Conferences list” when you click on the past Conference title.
Ending a Conference vs Logout or Leave Room::
When you exit the room and click on “End Conference” instead of “Logout”, the recording will be paused until you enter the room again. The first recording will be saved and a new recording will start.
When you exit the room and click on “Logout” instead of “End Conference”, all of your notes will remain in the Shared Notes tab and Public Messages will remain visible to people that enter the room.
Get involved with the development of BigBlueButton – ask for new features and report any issues you may find.
SOME BIGBLUEBUTTON FEATURES: