The Movie: Social Dilemma
If have not yet watched the movie with us, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk-oGXljjBA
Q. Did you learn anything new from watching “The Social Dilemma”?
A. 67% learned something new
What techniques for manipulating users are shown in the movie?
- periodic distractions
- overflowing users with stimuli
- tagging personal pictures
- experiments on people
- hacking pyschology
- forming habits
- illusion of control (and inverting it)
- distorted sense of time
- teaching counterproductive skills
- imposing empty goals and fake truths, unrealistic perfection
- intermediating personal communications
- using peer pressure
- continual judgement by others
- circumventig regulations
- disconnecting users from real world
- overwhelming computing power
- opinionated algorithms that reinforce actions
- personal information bubbles
- lack of critical perception
- conspiracy theories
- creating myths and blurring reality
- centralizing/monopolizing influence
- radicalizing people and nations
- inflaming cultural wars
- taking agency away from people, “willful ignorance”
- massive dependency on services, “too big to fail”
- financial interests govern society, new grand corruption
How much are we influenced by these techniques? (a few online polls)
- Do you think that “The Social Dilemma” movie uses these techniques?
- What countermeasures can we take?
- As an organization, how can we guard our business without blocking communications?
- What role can secure messengers and federated services play in replacing centralized social networks?
- Are federated services viable?
Links to resources for staying safe online…